Job Opening – Administrator / Outreach Coordinator
The Vermont Wilderness School is a non-profit organization founded in 1999. We offer educational programs to children, adults, and families. Our mission is to cultivate long-term mentoring relationships rooted in community, nature connection, and earth living skills. Our staff and board are committed to practicing routines of nature awareness, mentoring, and gratitude. Our organization is in a period of rapid growth. We welcome applications from dedicated and skilled individuals interested in learning, growing, and contributing along with us!
This is a part-time, year-round position. 18 hours/week. 48 weeks/yr. $15-17/hr, depending on experience. Applications are due by 5pm on Monday, May 22, 2017. Interviews will be scheduled on Mon, Wed, and Fri dates, beginning May 24.
The Administrator / Outreach Coordinator works in our Brattleboro, VT office along with 4 other staff members (1 full-time executive director, 1 part time bookkeeper, and 2 part-time lead instructors).
A successful candidate will have experience with the day-to-day administration of a small, community-based nonprofit or business. A strong attention to detail, exceptional computer and communications skills, and a passion for our mission are essential. Strong candidates will have a natural affinity for improving and maintaining healthy administrative, financial, operational, and technological systems here in the office, in support of our instructors and students who are out learning and growing in the wilds of southern Vermont and western Massachusetts. This is a leadership position, with opportunities for advancement.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Managing registration and office-end logistics for VWS programs, including parent/participant communications (25%);
- Supporting the fundraising work of the Executive Director and Board of Directors (20%);
- Compiling, designing, and disseminating VWS outreach communications, including social media and print materials (15%);
- Improving, managing, and troubleshooting administrative systems and office technology (10%);
- Acting as the first point of contact with people calling or emailing the organization (10%);
- Maintaining office supplies, overall order, cleanliness, and beauty in our workspace (10%);
- Ensuring timely tax and insurance reporting and payments (5%);
- Providing basic Human Resources support to current VWS staff (5%).
- A natural affinity for improving and maintaining healthy administrative, financial, operational, and technological systems.
- Ability to design, streamline, and maintain efficient systems of operation and record-keeping (both digital and hard copy).
- Highly organized, with a strong attention to detail. Quick, accurate worker.
- Extremely strong computer skills, especially with Google Sheets (Excel), Google Docs (Word), Gmail (or similar email client), Mailchimp (or similar mass marketing software), and WordPress.
- Familiarity with nonprofit or small business accounting principles and business transactions. (Experience with Quickbooks, Paypal, & Square a plus.)
- Comfort with Apple/Mac software and hardware, and the ability to improve technology systems and implement new software.
- A passion for our mission
- Strong desire to learn about and contribute to nature connection, youth mentoring, and community building initiatives.
- Familiarity with the field of nature connection education, especially the 8 Shields / Art of Mentoring model, is desirable.
- Passionate about organizational, personal, and professional development
- Experience with the day-to-day administration of a small, community-based nonprofit or business:
- Internal resilience and self-sufficiency. Ability to improvise and adapt in changing circumstances.
- Excellent and mature interpersonal communication skills. (Customer service experience a plus.)
- Excellent writing and speaking skills. Warm phone presence and email voice.
- Experience using social media to organize and engage project participants.
- The Administrator / Outreach Coordinator position is 18 hrs per week. For candidates with sufficient bookkeeping experience, an additional 2 hrs per week may be available for processing payroll (Intuit Online Payroll) and entering transactions (Quickbooks).
- A consistent schedule of 3-4 hrs every weekday is preferred, with occasional necessary adjustments. Scheduling of these work hours is negotiable, but you must be able to work in our Brattleboro, VT office at least 4 days per week.
- Must be available to work the following dates:
- Mon, Jun 19; Mon, Jun 26; Mon, Jul 3; Mon, Jul 10 (2017)
- Week of August 14, 2017 (15-20 hrs)
- Week of August 21, 2017 (15-20 hrs)
- We have a well-behaved, friendly dog who frequents the office.
- This is an opportunity to get involved with a community organization that is growing, healthy, and exciting. In the next few years there will potential for this position to grow into a 3/4 or full-time position, and potentially a role of increased leadership (e.g., Director of Operations or Associate Director).
Vermont Wilderness School does not (yet) offer health or retirement benefits. Staff are entitled to:
- 30% discount on any VWS program (with available spaces) and VWS merchandise. This discount extends to immediate family of all staff members.
- Free admission to participate in the Art of Mentoring workshop Aug 28 – Sep 2, 2017.
- 30 – 100% of the cost of relevant professional development opportunities, on a case-by-case basis.
- Workers compensation insurance coverage.
Email email@example.com with a resume, three references, and a concise letter describing:
- Your administrative experience and qualifications.
- Your outreach / communications experience and qualifications.
- Your relationship to nature-based education, if any.
- Your reasons for applying for this position.
We look forward to reviewing your application. Thank you!