Hunting Apprenticeship Application
The Hunting Apprenticeship is now FULL for the 2017-2018 season. To be added to the waitlist, please complete a registration form (below).
- Optional, but highly recommended (Sep 16, 17): VT Hunter’s Education Class
- Weekend 1 (Oct 21, 22): Intro/Hunting games/Awareness/Intuition (Guest instructor Neill Bovaird on Oct 22)
- Weekend 2 (Nov 18, 19): Deer Hunting / Weapon Use
- Weekend 3 (Dec 16, 17): Scouting / Squirrel Hunt
- Weekend 4 (Feb 10, 11): Tracking/Trailing
- Weekend 5 (Apr 21, 22): Turkey Hunting
- Weekend 6 (June 9, 10): Butchering & Food Preservation / Cooking / Wrapping the Bundle
- Saturday: 9 am – 3 pm
- Sunday: Sunrise – early afternoon
These hours are subject to minor changes, in consultation with all participants.
- The apprenticeship includes one actual hunt — a squirrel hunt in December— which is optional. To participate in the hunt, you must have completed a VT Hunter Education Course and possess a current Vermont Hunting license. You have the option to take this course through Vermont Wilderness School, taught by Bob Etzweiler and Nicole Meier, on September 16 & 17. You can also take the course on your own at another time. (See their website for course dates.)
- Owning a hunting weapon is not required to participate in the apprenticeship. If you do plan to obtain a hunting weapon and a hunting license before the December squirrel hunt, Bob is available to guide you through that process after the apprenticeship begins.
- This is not a “primitive skills” hunting apprenticeship. However, the skills taught will support all types of hunting.
- There will be optional homework, designed to take the teachings of the course further.
Complete the registration form below.
Deadline to apply is September 1. We will respond within 2 weeks of receiving your application.
A $150 deposit will be due within 7 days of your acceptance to the program, to reserve your slot. The remaining balance is due Oct 1. Please pay via the payment box at right –>
Cost: Sliding Scale: $900 – $1200. Actual per-person cost is $1000. Participants provide their own food and accommodations.
Upon acceptance to the program, please complete the “VWS Medical Form” via the tab at the bottom of this page.